The FVA Choral Composition Contest has been established to encourage efforts in original composition and to give recognition for outstanding achievement.
- Eligibility: The applicant must be a secondary school music student under the direction of an active member of FVA. A letter of sponsorship from the director shall accompany the submitted work.
- The time duration of the composition must be at least two minutes and long enough to be consistent with good form and taste.
- The manuscript must be legible and marked for complete understanding.
- To be eligible the composition must:
- Allow one staff for each voice part. If a voice part divides, the two may remain on the same staff.
- The accompaniment must be on two staves below the voice parts.
- If the composition is a cappella an accompaniment must be provided for rehearsal.
- Four CDs of the composition (or a digital recording), prepared by a choral group from the applicant’s school, and five printed scores (or a PDF file) must be sent to the FVA Music Committee Chair by September 15.
- The musical form need not be complicated nor should the composition necessarily be extensive. The quality and originality of the musical ideas are the elements to be evaluated.
- The manuscripts, recordings, and a signed statement by the student certifying that this is a completely original work should be submitted in a sealed envelope with another self – addressed and stamped envelope for return mailing included. Alternatively, the aforementioned items may be emailed in digital format to the FVA Music Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The entries shall be evaluated by 3-5 selected composers-in-residence at Florida Universities.
- General considerations to be used in the evaluation are as follows:
- originality of the ideas expressed
- text use
- interpretation of text through the music
- range of voices
- proper voice leading as associated with the harmonic structure
- form and taste reflected in the style of the music
- The composer of the winning composition will receive a plaque and a check for $250.00, and the winning composition may be performed by the All-State Reading Chorus at the FMEA Professional Development Conference in Tampa.
- All entrants shall receive a certificate of recognition from the FVA.
- Each participant shall receive written critiques of the entry
Submit materials to:
Kevin Albright, Music Committee Chair
Viera High School
6103 Stadium Pkwy
Viera, FL 32940
Deadline: September 15, 2016