Nomination forms for teacher awards must be submitted by the deadline of November 15.
Description of Awards
The FVA Hall of Fame award recognizes current and former classroom teachers who have exemplified the following:
- Excellence in the teaching of music and is renowned in the area of vocal and choral music education
- Noteworthy contributions through dedication and service to vocal music education, with special emphasis on outstanding service to FVA
The FVA Roll of Distinction award recognizes teachers no longer active in the classroom who have
- Demonstrated excellence in the teaching of music and are renowned in the area of vocal and choral music education
- Demonstrated noteworthy contributions through dedication and service to Florida’s vocal music education, students and their community
- Must be a current member of FMEA and FVA. (Retired or Active- unless nomination is posthumous)
- Served as a choral director in Florida and was active with FVA for a minimum of 20 years.
- May be an active or retired classroom teacher
- Demonstrates excellence in the teaching of music and is renowned in the area of vocal and choral music education.
- Demonstrates noteworthy contributions through dedication and service to vocal music education, with special emphasis on outstanding service to FVA.
Who can nominate
- Any FVA member
- Self nomination
- The nomination/award committee
- Nomination form (attached) must be postmarked and mailed to the Awards Chair by Nov. 15.
- Following an initial screening process, qualified nominees and/or nominators will be notified by Dec. 1 and will be requested to compile and submit a portfolio to the Awards Chair no later than January 31.
- Recipients of the award will be notified by March 1.
- An Awards ceremony and reception will take place on the Friday of the Summer convention.
Nominator should submit a notebook/portfolio (may be electronic) AFTER the Dec. 1 notification, which includes:
- A summary of achievement, contributions, or service on which the Hall of Fame Award nomination is based
- Photograph (digital format is preferred),
- Detailed vita/bio- include: 1) educational and employment history; 2) List of honors, awards, or other recognition accorded to the nominee 3) List of community and/or professional activities in which the nominee has been involved.
- Four (4) letters of recommendation from any of the following: 1). current or former administration 2) colleagues 3) current or former students 4) parents or community leaders.
Past FVA Honorees
Roll of Distinction
2010: Anne Folsom, Gretchen Marz, Sandra White
2011: Edna Hargrett-Thrower
2012: R. Wayne Bailey, Jim Copeland, Barbara J. Smith
2013: Betty Mullett, John Rose
2014: Ronald C. Corbin
Hall of Fame
2010: Harold Bradley, Elaine McNamara, Phyllis Merritt, J. Richard Warren
2011: Peggy Barber, Jim Forssell, Raymond Kickliter, Andrew Wright
2012: Earl F. Little, A. Byron Smith
2013: Beth Meadows, Ree Nathan, John Yost
2014: James W. Hughes, Woodrow W. Nail Jr.
2015: Jackie Hails, Barbara Kingman, E. Tyrrell “Terry” Owen
2016: Judy Arthur, Karen Bradley, Michael DeShong, J. Mark Scott