July 23–24, 2021
Prior to the start of each new school year, FVA holds its Summer Conference. At this time, teachers are afforded an excellent opportunity to renew professional acquaintances, meet new people and to participate in enlightening workshops. This convention is designed to address concerns and discuss ideas that are immediately applicable to teaching in the upcoming year. Always useful are the choral reading sessions where new or tried-and-true music is introduced. Single copies of the FVA Music List are available for browsing. All-State music for Middle and High School Choruses is read and sometimes conducted by the January clinician. Also, one of the two annual FVA General Membership meetings is held.
Registration / General Info
The July 2021 conference will be held at the Altamonte Springs/Orlando Hilton Hotel at 350 S. Northlake Blvd., Altamonte Springs. Make your reservations directly with the hotel at (407) 830-1985. Mention the group code (CHPANO) in order to receive the preferred group rate.
Adjudicator Training and Recertification
The adjudicator session AND re-certification sessions are held Wednesday just before Summer Conference at the Hilton Orlando/Altamonte Springs Hotel. The regular training session will begin at 9:00AM and continue until 5:00PM.
To register for this session, fill out the registration form and mail along with a check ($35 fee payable to FVA) to Dale Choate. Registering on site Wednesday morning is $45 if you have not pre-registered.
For questions or more information, contact the chairman of the Adjudicator Training Committee, Dale Choate. He can be reached at work (904-390-2021) or by email.
If you are participating in this year’s Awards Ceremony Chorale, see this page for documents. See the Awards chair for password.
New Director Breakfast
This breakfast, on Saturday morning during the conference at 7:30 AM, is a means for choral directors new to Florida, new to teaching, or new to the secondary level, to become acquainted with FVA rules and procedures. New directors will be acquainted with the FVA Handbook and Music List.
Renew Your NAfME/FMEA/FVA Membership
Membership materials are available online through the FMEA web site.
- 4:00 PM — Executive Committee Meeting
- 4:00 PM — Adjudication Committee Meeting
- 8:30 AM — New District Chair Meeting
- 9:00 AM — Adjudicator Training Session
- 1:00 PM — Executive Board Meeting
- 7:00 PM — Awards Choir Rehearsal
- Head’s House of Music Choral Panorama
- 1:00 PM — FVA Summer Conference Registration Opens
- 8:00 AM — Registration
- 9:00 AM — Dr. Judy Bowers – “What Can I Do?….Create”
- 10:15 AM — Break
- 10:30 AM — Dr. Amanda Quist – “Building the Choir Sound and Spirit”
- 11:45 AM — Lunch
- 1:45 PM — Dr. Jeffery Redding and the UCF University Singers
- 2:30 PM — Cookie Break
- 2:45 PM — Dr. Tim Brent – “Basic Essentials of the Vocal Jazz Ensemble”
- 4:00 PM — FVA General Membership Meeting
- 5:15 PM — Awards Ceremony
- 7:30 AM — New Member Breakfast
- 8:30 AM — Dr. Peter Steenblik – “Behind the Mask”
- 9:30 AM — Break
- 9:45 AM — Dr. Amanda Quist – “Telling Stories – Rehearsals with Intent”
- 10:45 AM — Break
- 11:00 AM — Dr. Judy Bowers – “What Can I Do?….Implement”
Past Conference Schedules
- Virtual Summer Conference 2020 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2019 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2018 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2017 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2016 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2015 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2014 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2013 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2012 Schedule
- Summer Conference 2011 Schedule